These are all good books for beginners who want a no-nonsense introduction to Yoga and also students who have specific needs.
- Rodney Yee with Nina Zolotow, Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga (Amazon link)
- Donna Farhi, Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness (Amazon link)
- Timothy McCall, MD, Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing (Amazon link)
- Suza Francina, The New Yoga for People Over 50: A Comprehensive Guide for Midlife and Older Beginners (Amazon link)
- Emily Slonina and Laura Carapellese, Anywhere, Anytime, Any Body Yoga (Amazon link)
- Francoise Barbira Freedman, Yoga for Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond (Amazon link)
Magazines & Articles:
- Yoga Journal: http://www.yogajournal.com
A fantastic magazine with many useful articles and resources. Check-out the terrific ‘build a sequence’ page for students to print out their own series of poses: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/sequence_builder
- Report by American Council on Exercise on the benefits of Yoga [PDF link]
- Hugger Mugger: http://www.huggermugger.com
I like Hugger Mugger because they sell a cotton yoga mat which soaks up sweat.